6 months post transplant :)

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Letter to my Donor's family...

       So..I received some awesome news yesterday! My donor's family wants to meet me! (Thanks for the news Mara!) I'm very nervous because I'm sure that it will be a very emotional night for everyone involved. I'm very honored though, I mean they didn't have to have anything to do with me at all! But I'm so glad that they are ready to meet the people their son's organs saved. I'm hoping it will ease their mind a bit..knowing how much good has come out of their son's passing.
       The family is being honored at a gala here in Phoenix, so that's where I've been invited. I'm not positive, but I think it's the CF foundation(Phoenix chapter) that is giving them the award. I can't recall the name of the reward..I'll have to ask my cousin again because she has all the info. But it's all very exciting news and I can't wait! I plan on giving them my letter in person at the gala, thanking them for this tremendous gift they've given me. It goes like this..

Dear Donor family, 
     I've sat down to write this multiple times, afraid I would fail to find the words to express my gratitude. I know there isn't anything I can say to ease your pain, but I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for this unselfish gift you have given me.
     Now, I can laugh, sing, cry, love, breath...and today I write because of you. I'm in awe everyday of your gracious ability to give at a time when so much was being taken from you. I pray today, and the days to come, that god will mend your broken hearts and that you may find some comfort in this letter.
     I'm truly sorry for your loss, and I pray that each and everyday gets a little bit easier. I want you to know that with every breath I take your loved one is with me. I will try to live my life to the absolute fullest, and take great care of these precious lungs. I promise you that. I will not waste one moment of this amazing gift of a second chance that I've been given.
    Even though they are gone they will never ever be forgotten. Your family will forever be in my prayers and you will always hold a special place in my heart.
     
        Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart.
                  Love, the recipient of your loved one's lungs

No comments:

Post a Comment